Healthy Sugar-Free Oat and Banana Biscuits
After a few requests, I am sharing my go-to recipe for no sugar banana and oat biscuits. They are full of nutritious ingredients with no junk whatsoever. My children love them and they are perfect for a quick snack if you are on the go.
We are going to use bananas, oats, coconut oil, a selection of seeds such as pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds. Optionally you can add a little honey, but there alrady is light sweetness from the bananas.
Compared to ordinary flour, oats are incredibly nutritious. They are (nearly) gluten-free, high in fibre and loaded with micronutrients such as manganese, magnesium, vitamin B and zinc. Oats are also a source of unique antioxidants that may reduce blood pressure and have anti-inflammatory and anti-itching properties.
We can increase the nutritional value by adding pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds which contain even more nutrients and essential fatty acids. Pumpkin seeds, in particular, are one of the best natural sources of magnesium - a mineral that is needed to regulate most processes in the human body.
I also like to add a tablespoon or two of nutritional yeast when I have it on hand- an excellent source of B vitamins, protein and anti-oxidants.
So here is how to make healthy vegan sugar-free biscuits:
3 large ripe bananas
1 and 1/2 cup porridge oats (not quick cook)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup mixed seeds (sunflower and pumpkin or whichever seeds you have on hand)
optional: 1 tablespoon honey or plant-based sweetener
optional: 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
I like to use a blender for superfast easy preparation but you can, of course, just mush the bananas and mix the ingredients by hand
1) blend bananas and melted coconut oil on low until just combined and still somewhat lumpy
2) add oats and blend on low (just a few turns) until well mixed and texture reminds a thick porridge
3) add the rest of the ingredients and blend a little more on low until all combined
4) spoon on a lined baking tray, one tablespoon at a time, flatten each biscuit to a thickness of approx. 1cm.
5) bake on 180C until golden brown around the edges
Tried it? Liked it? Let us know!